Why KDE4 is called KDE?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Fri Dec 11 19:57:30 GMT 2009

Draciron Smith posted on Fri, 11 Dec 2009 08:02:37 -0600 as excerpted:

>> Development frameworks themselves are almost never part of default
>> installations due to size and target audience. They can become a part
>> through being a dependency of something important enough, so we'll have
>> to wait for one of those Basic based developers to come up with an app
>> everybody would want to use.
>
> I can see why they want to save bandwidth/DVD space, the contrast is
> that you wind up installing the dev libs anyway just sporadically as
> needed for this tarball or that RPM or that .Deb. Inside six months I
> usually have almost the entire .dev libs already installed and long ago
> decided it's just easier to install them right off the bat. Saves me the
> hassle of tracking down which package contains the dependency this or
> that tarball is complaining about. Once I have the dev libs installed
> for KDE, Gnome and X usually dependencies easy to find by the name that
> it complains about.

FWIW, that's one of the nice things about Gentoo.  Since it's designed to
be compiled and installed from source using scripts, all the stuff to do
so is kept /in/ the package it ships with.  No more tracking down pkg-dev
stuff! =:^)