Dolphin starts programs with a wrong current directory

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at arcor.de
Sat Dec 12 12:42:05 GMT 2009

On 12/12/2009 10:15 AM, Torsten Frey wrote:
> Am Samstag, 12. Dezember 2009 01:35:46 schrieb Nikos Chantziaras:
>>  [...]
>> Why?  $PWD is not the Documents directory.  The Documents directory is
>> the... Documents directory.  The $PWD is the $PWD.
>>
>> Now the above sounded pretty dump, but really obvious things tend to do
>> that.  So why does Dolphin think that ~/Documents is the $PWD?  Those
>> two are *not* the same thing.  And after the lengthy explanations given
>> in this thread, this approach even contradicts previous statements about
>> how things are supposed to work on Unix systems.
>>
>> Bottom line, if an app wants access to the ~/Documents directory, it
>> should *say so*.  From how I see it, relying that $PWD is ~/Documents is
>> a broken design too for the reasons you wrote previously :)  Sorry, you
>> can't have it both ways.
>
> Hi Nikos,
>
> I do not know if I understood your problem correctly. But I found this and you
> might check if this is relevant.
>
> system settings ->  tab "General" ->  group "Personal" ->  "about
> me" ->  "Paths" ->  change the location important files are stored
>
> e.g path to Desktop, Documents, Downloads, ...
>
> Perhaps dolphin (as a KDE-application) uses these paths and other file
> managers probably not.

The problem with the current directory is that it's not a fixed path.
It's whatever you're looking at any given time.  If you opened
/usr/local in Dolphin, then the current directory is /usr/local.  It's
just that Dolphin makes it be ~/Documents instead of /usr/local.
Changing the paths in System Settings won't help.

Gnome does the right thing here, and it also has a "Documents" directory
too.