Dolphin starts programs with a wrong current directory

Torsten Frey torsten at tfrey.de
Sat Dec 12 08:24:29 GMT 2009

---
Torsten Frey
Buchenweg 4
DE 75059 Zaisenhausen
T: 07258-930-245
M: torsten at tfrey.de
---

Am Samstag, 12. Dezember 2009 01:35:46 schrieb Nikos Chantziaras:
> On 12/11/2009 11:56 PM, James Tyrer wrote:
> > Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

> >> Or Dolphin could simply set the working directory correctly, like every
> >> other file manager.
> >>
> >> Sorry, in everything you wrote, there's no good reason whatsoever of why
> >> Dolphin can't set the working directory correctly.  It seems we're
> >> talking about two different things.  I'm asking about the working
> >> directory, and you reply with explanations about where to place data
> >> files.  Yes, data files should go in the appropriate places.  But *why*
> >> can't Dolphin set the working directory to the one I'm viewing in it?
> >> What would that break?  Why would it be wrong?
> >>
> >> If I send someone a tar with a directory in it, a script and a few
> >> files, why shouldn't the person receiving it be able to simply double
> >> click the script instead of opening a CLI, going to the directory and
> >> start the script from the CLI?  Why should he have to "install" the data
> >> files first only to remove them again later?  Only because of Dolphin?
> >>
> >> IMO you are simply missing the point.
> >
> > Sorry that I didn't make my point clear.  When I start an application in
> > a GUI, I want the $PWD set to where I store my data, not where the code
> > is.  So, doing it your way would break that way that most users do it.
>
> Why?  $PWD is not the Documents directory.  The Documents directory is
> the... Documents directory.  The $PWD is the $PWD.
>
> Now the above sounded pretty dump, but really obvious things tend to do
> that.  So why does Dolphin think that ~/Documents is the $PWD?  Those
> two are *not* the same thing.  And after the lengthy explanations given
> in this thread, this approach even contradicts previous statements about
> how things are supposed to work on Unix systems.
>
> Bottom line, if an app wants access to the ~/Documents directory, it
> should *say so*.  From how I see it, relying that $PWD is ~/Documents is
> a broken design too for the reasons you wrote previously :)  Sorry, you
> can't have it both ways.

Hi Nikos,

I do not know if I understood your problem correctly, but this could be be
relevant?

system settings -> tab "general" -> group "personal" -> "about me" -> Paths ->
change the location where important files are stored

e.g. Desktop, Documents, Downloads,..

Perhaps Dolphin as a KDE4-application uses these paths, other filemanagers
probably not. I could not find the settings-file, or where this is stored and
how these variables are used, but perhaps it helps you a step further.

Regards, Torsten