Why KDE4 is called KDE?

Steven Crooks steven at worldofcrooks.org
Thu Dec 10 10:58:02 GMT 2009

On Thursday 10 December 2009 11:31:21 Draciron Smith wrote:
> Seemed a might defensive too me, like I stepped all over a raw nerve.
> I think the point she wanted to make is that KDE is a complex piece of
> software and isolating a specific area is not so simple as everything
> is interdependent. Her implication that I was a simpleton and
> incapable of understanding this concept was imflamitory and unhelpful
> to the conversation.  I've worked on large and involved projects
> before. I understand the dynamics and the issues involved in large
> complex software. Particulers I don't but I'm making inquiries right
> now to get a better idea of just what a fork would be up against.
>
> Given the .kde in her email addy I think technical is the least of our
> worries. Resentment from some elements of the KDE project might be a
> much bigger hurdle than the actual coding. For the fork to work we'll
> need generous help early on getting off the ground with it and we'll
> need considerations too keep future versions compatable unless we fork
> the entire project. If Lydia is an example of the reaction the KDE
> community will have forking off just the UI will not be possible.
>
> Reminds me of an IBM project I was on. I was asked to fix a bug but
> the IBM group who had the source code I was supposed to fix the bug in
> refused to give me a copy of the source code. After a couple weeks I
> gave up and rewrote the whole thing from scratch.
>
> On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 4:20 AM, spir <denis.spir at free.fr> wrote:
> > Lydia Pintscher <lydia at kde.org> dixit:
> >> You should learn your history...
> >> K3B vs whatever is nothing like KDE 4 vs KDE 3 like you are trying to
> >> spin it here.
> >
> > [...]
> >
> >> You have a completely wrong idea about how many people are working on
> >> K3B.
> >>

> >> Cheers
> >> Lydia
> >
> > Is this supposed to be a helpful contribution to the discussion? What do
> > _you_ think?
> >
> > Denis

I can see a bunch full of KDE3-addicted people, who are talking 'bout
reactivate KDE3 / keeping KDE3 alive. So, why don't stop talking/writing about
it and do it?!

With every new posting in this thread, i have to think more of the story of
"riding a dead horse"
(http://www.tysknews.com/LiteStuff/riding_a_dead_horse.htm)
It fits pretty well...

Steven