Why KDE4 is called KDE?

Lydia Pintscher lydia at kde.org
Thu Dec 10 10:21:46 GMT 2009

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 10:59, Draciron Smith <draciron at gmail.com> wrote:
> Lydia your picking nits with a very fine tweezer.
>
> K3b is a SMALL example, I listed larger ones. Rosegarden has what 50
> people working on it?  No there isn't 100 people working on K3b, but
> there are probably at least a dozen not counting translation efforts.
> Few if any of those dozen people are likely devoted full time to K3b
> development but one person doing all of it would be a bit much.

http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/extragear/multimedia/k3b/ shows that there
were 3 people plus scripty commiting code to K3B in the last month.
One of them did a _huge_ amount of work. The other 2 did some very
minor commits.

I didn't comment on the other examples you gave since I don't know
them well enough. But given how wrong you are about K3B I am inclined
to expect the same there.

> Do you deny that KDE arose from dissatisfied people?  Were all of them
> coders? I doubt it. It was a bunch of people like us sitting around
> griping about window managers and somebody got the idea to build their
> own. The details really are not significant though who it was who
> founded the project should be annoted somewhere.

They were not dissatisfied in the sense to do a fork. Which is why
your comparison is bad.
And thank you, I know them personally ;-) Yes they were/are coders.

Cheers
Lydia, who thinks this whole thread is pointless and should be closed now

--
Lydia Pintscher
Amarok community manager