Why KDE4 is called KDE?

Draciron Smith draciron at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 05:21:37 GMT 2009

Good points Kevin on desktop implimentation vs the architechture.  I
don't know enough about the arch to honestly comment on it, I am
talking about the workspace which lost a great deal of flexibility and
functionality.  Just adding an app is unreasonably difficult. What was
wrong with right click, browse for what your looking for or cut and
paste, set your command line, etc. It was easy to use, very flexible
and didn't limit you too just KDE apps, didn't even limit you to X
apps.

In terms of workspace the desktops and panels are very primitive. KDE
2.x had more customization and functionality, actually I think KDE 1.x
did as well. Been a long time since I ran KDE 1.x  which was just
called KDE back then.

The problems with folder view is that either you replace the desktop
with it if you want to locate around commonly opened windows and it
doesn't appear in the taskbar so you can easily get at it.  I don't
have one open and no idea how to open it back up once closed but if I
remember correctly it had no minimize function either. So no way to
prevent accidentally clicking through if you had an app slow to close.
As such you could accidentally launch apps or docs and such without
realizing it.  For the folderview to be useful it needs to be easy to
open, close, add too, resize and create new ones. The folderview
applet adds a Dophin not a folder view window. It also assumes /home
is the whole world. Which it's not in many cases. I personally use a
/data and /home scheme keeping as much user data as possible OUT of
/home and keeping /home as purely for cgf settings as possible. I have
4 drives in this machine and I'm honestly not interested in make them
all LVM volumes.