Why KDE4 is called KDE?

spir denis.spir at free.fr
Tue Dec 8 13:31:17 GMT 2009

"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss at iguanasuicide.net> dixit:

> On Tuesday 08 December 2009 04:44:31 spir wrote:
> > Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> dixit:

> > For information, I'm a kind of "design guy" and as such *very* and *really*
> >  interested in any kind of doc exposing reasons behind design choices. For
> >  instance, I would enjoy to read _why_ kde guys used to think that
> >  über-customization is a Good Thing -- while indeed other designers think
> >  the opposite. And I would enjoy to read why, if only, or how much, they
> >  changed their mind on this topic.
>
> I don't think older versions on KDE reflected some attitude that uber-
> customization is a Good Thing.  Rather, it was more like unchecked feature
> creep.  If someone wanted a configuration option for <whatever> and there
> wasn't a technical reason to avoid it, it was added.

My question seems difficult to understand. I'm not arguing on one side or the other. I know tons of individual positions on the topic -- and yours are indeed worth beeing taken into account, but there are better places.
But that's not what I ask for: I ask for (a) pointer(s) to kde designers' previous and present POVs -- that's all. See Dotan's statement quoted above. I would like to be in a position to say like him "I agree/disagree with <this>."; for this, I need source information about <this>.

Denis