Okular preferred linux PDF reader

Peter Lewis lewisp at avex.co.uk
Wed Dec 2 22:54:05 GMT 2009

On Wednesday 02 Dec 2009 Dotan Cohen sent:

> >From these guys:
>
> http://www.ghacks.net/2009/11/30/linux-pdf-viewers/
>
> >From TFA:
>
> """If I had to choose which of these tools was best suited for use as
> modern PDF viewer I would, without hesitation, select Okular. Not only
> is Okular as stable as the other offerings, it offers far more
> features which allows it to compete (and in many ways defeat) Acrobat
> Reader."""

Except for printing and magnification!
In features, with acroread, it is possible to print first the even numbered
pages in reverse order then, after placing the printed sheets text side down
in the input tray, the odd number pages in true order. Duplex printing from a
simplex printer.
Can anyone find how to do this with Okular?
Other print capabilities from acroread are scaling to paper size and printing
two copies of a single page side-by-side on one sheet (ideal for fliers). When
acroread is zoomed in the text scales perfectly, with okular it and the
picographic parts become very pixellated.

On the plus side, Okular starts much faster and is perfectly adequate for
reading documents designed to be viewed at normal magnification.

--

All the best,
Peter Lewis