dolphin oddity

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 31 09:59:01 BST 2009

On Monday 31 August 2009 08:47:19 Martin (KDE) wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 30. August 2009 schrieb Anne Wilson:
> > On Sunday 30 August 2009 20:09:53 Martin (KDE) wrote:
> > > Strigi is not running and I can't enable it. Error is: strigi
> > > service can not be initialized - probably an installation problem
> > >
> > > all strigi and nepomuk stuff is installed. nepomuk is running.
> > > What to do next?
> >
> > I honestly don't know.  I had the same problem with 4.2 on my
> > netbook and never found the answer.  Then I upgraded to 4.3 and all
> > was well.  Is that not an option for you?
>
> This is 4.3. My daughter's is 4.2.
>
> I have searched a little bit in the net and found this site:
>
> http://ossz.blogspot.com/2009/05/nepomuk-strigi-resolving-mystry.html
>
> this problem seems to be a little fedora 11 specific as for openSUSE
> and ubuntu I found solutions by installing the sesame backend package.
> Sadly this package is not available for fedora (why?).

That's a good article.  But I didn't have to do any of this to get strigi to
work on this laptop - a clean install from DVD.  I wonder if the problem only
occurs if you use the LiveCD and get Redland running first.  Certainly that's
the way I installed F10 on the netbook (remember that had the same problem as
you) but the F11 update sorted it.  It does sound to me, as though it's the
LiveCD install that's causing this.

Anne