Double-click consistency in KDE

Peter Lewis lewisp at avex.co.uk
Wed Aug 26 19:51:11 BST 2009

On Wednesday 26 Aug 2009 Kishore sent:

> On Wednesday 26 Aug 2009 10:26:25 pm Peter Lewis wrote:
> > I have used many versions of KDE since 1998 but there is one thing that
> > has always perplexed me...
> >
> > Who decides when a double-click will have to be used to change to a
> > folder when navigating file-structures, or launch an application within a
> > folder?
> >
> > If I may come clean at the start, I regard the double-click as the spawn
> > of the devil. What irritates me though is having to guess when I will
> > have to double-click and when just to click once.
> >
> > Is there any way to control this? I can find none up to KDE 4.2. In
> > "System Settings" -> General you can click on "Keyboard & Mouse" and its
> > background turns blue! WoW! Double-click and you can get to Mouse
> > Settings where you can select "Single-click to open files and folders"
> > (single-click YuK)
>
> OK. I am a little confused here. Do you prefer single click or double? The
> settings you choose in the above mentioned config should apply across all
> KDE applications. If it does not it is mostly a bug if not a consciously
> made decision.

Sorry Kishore, it is the term "single-click" that I hate, I would always
rather click once. Let us be honest, nobody ever says or writes "he single-
blew the horn on his car". I regard "double-" prepended to click as being a
modification of normal action which makes "single-" lexically redundant. The
same holds true with "forward-" when appended to slash, totally redundant.

I should not have inserted that aside.

> > which I do have selected, but still have to double-click when negotiating
> > Open Document in Okular.
>
> You mean, in the open file dialog? Is that behavior unique to Okular?
> In here, i have single click enabled and Okular opens the file when i click
> on a pdf file in dolphin or launch okular and pick the file from it's open
> file dialog.

Open Okular or Kwrite then click on file->open and you should get the "Open
file" dialogue with the contents of your home folder. If there is a folder or
a text file there try to click on it (yes just the once!). On my system it
does not open the folder or file, it just gives the name a blue background,
which serves no purpose as far as I can tell.

Certainly within dolphin a click on a folder or file will open the folder in
dolphin or the file in its application.

--
Kind regards,
Peter Lewis