Battery Monitor Plasmoid not giving warnings

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 09:23:05 BST 2009

2009/8/21 James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj at acm.org>:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>>
>> When the battery of my Dell Inspiron gets low, the Battery Monitor
>> Plasmoid is not giving the warnings that it is configured to give. Can
>> anyone else confirm this situation? KDE 4.3, Kubuntu 9.04.
>>
> This issue can be somewhat complicated and it is probable that the problem
> is not with KDE.  This, and other things like CPU temperature are read by
> "lm_sensors".  So, two questions (1) do you have it installed (2) can you
> monitor other such motherboard things?

It looks like I do and I can:
jaunty2 at laptop:~$ sensors
acpitz-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1:       +44.5°C  (crit = +126.0°C)

Furthermore:
jaunty2 at laptop:~$ cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/info
present:                 yes
design capacity:         4400 mAh
last full capacity:      4400 mAh
battery technology:      rechargeable
design voltage:          10800 mV
design capacity warning: 440 mAh
design capacity low:     133 mAh
capacity granularity 1:  44 mAh
capacity granularity 2:  44 mAh
model number:             DELL00
serial number:           27
battery type:            LION
OEM info:                MSL
jaunty2 at laptop:~$ cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state
present:                 yes
capacity state:          ok
charging state:          charging
present rate:            1 mA
remaining capacity:      1547 mAh
present voltage:         12433 mV
jaunty2 at laptop:~$ cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/alarm
alarm:                   440 mAh
jaunty2 at laptop:~$

Therefore it looks like all the relevant info is available, in standard places.

> I have always had problems with that application and I don't have it fully
> working.  I understand that it might require some configuration which I have
> not done since I upgraded the Kernel.
>
> It is necessary that a Kernel hardware driver exist and be installed as a
> module for the specific type of IC that is used on your motherboard. This is
> not an easy thing to determine -- to find out what type of IC is being used
> to manage your battery.
>
> Another thing, is "Battery Charge" listed in the "Sensor" tree in KSysGuard?
>  I seem to have this under: "Advanced Power Management" despite the fact
> that I do not have a laptop. :-| This indicates that I have 0 charge which
> may be logical since I don't have a battery, or it may indicate that this is
> the default.
>
> I would think that having it show up in KSysGuard would be a necessary
> condition for the widget to function but perhaps not.

Is that what is now called System Monitor? That is what I get when I
run the command ksysguard in Konsole (KDE 4.3). It does not have an
"Advanced Power Management" tab or option, and I cannot find a Sensor
Tree nor Battery Charge anywhere. I suspect that these have not been
ported over from KDE 3.x.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com