Desktop effects not working anymore

Ferdinand Smit ferdinand at telegraafnet.nl
Mon Aug 3 20:14:57 BST 2009

Hi,

Since i have upgraded my xserver to 1:7.4+3 my desktop effects do not work
anymore. I still can use XRender but not OpenGL mode.

Popup message:

Failed to activate desktop effects using the given configuration options.
Settings will be reverted to their previous values.

Check your X configuration. You may also consider changing advanced options,
especially changing the compositing type.

Is this a known problem or do i have an error in my config?

At the moment i only get a message in the .xsession-errors if i try to enable
it:

Object::connect: No such slot
KWin::KWinCompositingConfig::compositingModeChanged()
Object::connect:  (sender name:   'compositingType')
Object::connect:  (receiver name: 'KWinCompositingConfig')

... but this is only when i open the Desktop Effects page. When i try to
enable it, i do not get a warning/error in the .xsession-errors log, only as
popup.

Debian Packages:
xserver-xorg   1:7.4+3
xserver-xorg-video-intel   2:2.8.0-2
ibgl1-mesa-dri   7.5-3
libgl1-mesa-glx    7.5-3
libglu1-mesa  7.5-3
libqt4-opengl   4:4.5.2-1
kdebase   4:4.2.4-1
... and the rest of kde-full

Xorg conf is a setup for two monitors, using AccelMethod UXA with Tiling
disabled and Composite enabled. In de log it says that composite is enabled.

$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 Memory
Controller Hub (rev 0c)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960
Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated
Graphics Controller (rev 0c)
00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI
Controller #4 (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio
Controller (rev 03)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 1
(rev 03)
<zip>

$ grep -i uxa /var/log/Xorg.0.log
(II) UXA(0): Driver registered support for the following operations:
(II)         solid
(II)         copy
(II)         composite (RENDER acceleration)

$ grep -i render /var/log/Xorg.0.log
(II)         composite (RENDER acceleration)
(II) intel(0): direct rendering: DRI2 Enabled
(II) Initializing built-in extension RENDER

$ glxinfo | grep -i opengl
OpenGL vendor string: Tungsten Graphics, Inc
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) 965GM GEM 20090712 2009Q2 RC3
x86/MMX/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.5.1
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20
OpenGL extensions:

Regards,
Ferdinand