How to associate icon with shell script?

Rick Miles frmrick at aapt.net.au
Mon Apr 27 20:00:16 BST 2009

On Monday 27 April 2009 07:36:39 pm Dotan Cohen wrote:
> I have a shell script in $HOME/bin that I run regularly from krunner.
> How can I associate an icon in krunner with this script?
>
> My distor is Kubuntu 9.04 with KDE 4.2.2 if it matters. Thanks!

You can create your own icons by creating a textfile and giving it a .desktop
extension. That's all an icon is. Go to /usr/share/applications and have a look.
Anyone of those files can be dragged into you ~/Desktop folder if you use that for
desktop icons or else directly onto your desktop.

The format of the .desktop file is fairly simple to follow I have made them for
url as well as script icons and keep them in /usr/local/share/applications. Once
you have created the file the "icon" can be used like any other icon, e.g. adding
to Quicklaunch. Use anything for an icon. Here is what one of mine looks like.

rick at rick:~$ cat /usr/local/share/applications/weather.desktop
[Desktop Entry]
Name=Weather
Comment=Weather Forecast
Exec=/usr/local/bin/weather.sh
Icon=/usr/local/share/icons/weather.png
Terminal=0
Type=Application
Categories=Application;Network;

--
Cheers,

Rick Miles

Written on Pungenday, the 45th of Discord, 3175
http://turtlespond.net
http://rickmiles.com.au