Cannot use Deadkeys under KDE4 applications

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 20 14:33:38 BST 2009

On Saturday 18 April 2009 09:59:36 Gerrit wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I’m using the German keyboard layout “Dead Grave acute‌‌”. Sadly, I cannot
> type any Deadkeys in any KDE4 application. If I want to type â, I just get
> ^a. If I want to use a compose key, this doesn’t work either.
>
> If I type in Firefox or a KDE 3.5 application, this works fine.
>
> Weirdly, I also made my own keyboard layout, but I cannot access it via the
> keyboard selection tools from KDE. I manually have to select it via
> “setxkbmap -layout de -variant erweitert” from the console.
>
> Does anyone know how to fix it? Using dead keys is pretty important for
> typing languages such as French or even German.

I've no personal experience, but I'm told that dead keys work fine in most
apps.  Some questions -

Which distro/version are you using?

Which KDE version

Do dead keys work in kwrite?

Are you aware of any changes in your distro's handling of xorg?  Some recent
changes have caused known issues.

Apart from this, I'd recommend that you ask on irc.freenode.org, channel #kde,
or on forum.kde.org, where some more knowledgeable folk hang out.

Anne