KDE4: sound always through speakers, never through (jack) headphones

David david.maillists at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 22:09:38 BST 2009

Hello,

Sorry for been inactive in this list for several months: the reason is that
I was busy and there was a lot of traffic regarding first releases of KDE4,
and I could not help because I was still using KDE3.5!

A few days ago, a transition to KDE4 started in Debian sid. Then I used to
have some applications of KDE3.5 and others of KDE 4.2: kmix among the
latter. I noticed that the "switches" had disappeared, but, still, I could
mute the front channel and raise the volume of the headphones. It worked: no
sound through speakers, sound through headphones.

I have just upgraded to KDE 4.2. By the way, the process in Debian was
tricky but I found it out and wrote a how-to :-) :
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?p=222908 :-) With the first log in, I
got a beautiful (and loud) log-in sound but then, phonon said that the sound
card did not work and the output was being redirected to Default (i.e.,
nothing). I solved that by installing phonon-backend-xine.

The problem is that, now, the sound is always through speakers, never
through headphones. Even with the same version of kmix that made the job
when I was in a mixture of KDE 3.5 and KDE 4! Lowering the front channel
lowers the volume, but the headphones (that are connected in the classical
way, with jack) are at maximum level (and unmuted) but they do not play.
This computer is at work so I cannot have any sound through speakers, and I
would certainly appreciate to have it through headphones!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Please Cc replies to me, because I opted out from receiving emails, although
I will opt in soon if the traffic has dropped :-)

Thank you very much in advance,

David