KDE printing disasters

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 29 09:37:21 BST 2008

On Sunday 28 September 2008 22:20:33 James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > Is there anywhere apart from the configure print job dialogue to set
> > default settings? I'm using a printer capable of duplex and n-up
> > printing, but I'm having huge problems. It seems to insist that I am
> > printing onto rolodex cards, no matter what I tell it about using A4. It
> > prints one A4's-worth onto a tiny space on the page, dries the ink, then
> > turns out 5 empty sides before printing another tiny image.
> >
> > Are default settings configurable?
>
> Did you read the documentation?  Is there any documentation?  ARGH!

There is no documentation whatsoever - again, I don't know whether it's a
distro problem.

> IAC, the Properties dialog box does not have a save button.  So, I don't
> know if it always saves values which you enter or never saves them.  I
> consider that a bug that should be reported.

Agreed.  I'll do that.

> I presume that you have opened the "Properties" dialog and selected your
> paper size and despite this, it prints using some smaller size.

Yes - the properties box knew that A4 is my default size.

> It also would make some difference what application you are using.

I was trying to use kprinter from konqueror.  In the past I have even
redirected printing from firefox to kprinter, although it looks as though this
may no longer be necessary for most jobs.

> With additional information, I will try it although I don't have any A4
> paper  US letter is close enough.

Very close.

> > Is this a version problem or a distro problem?
>
> It could be a distro problem since KDE depends  on CUPS/FooMatic for the
> actual printing.  I would suspect that it is the actual printing system
> that is at fault.

I checked the settings on localhost:631, and that showed A4 as the paper size.

> > Can we look forward to seeing brochure printing again?
>
> I presume that what you want is 2 up duplex that orders the pages
> correctly (landscape: 4,1,2,3) so that you have a brochure when you fold
> the page in half.

Actually, no.  2-up gives me large-print web pages (release notes, install
instructions etc) on the fewest physical sheets of paper.  The brochure
facility was an enscript, I believe, and orders the pages as 1&24, 2&23 etc.
for folding.

> Don't know, put in a feature request.

Will do that, also.  I don't want to have to put everything into openoffice if
I want to print a brochure, and I do that sometimes with web-archived magazine
articles.

Anne