how to edit id3 tags in KDE?

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Sep 25 17:42:48 BST 2008

James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> Is there any kio/whatever plugin to allow editing id3v2 in the library
>> "properties" dialog? Or any KDE tool for mass audio metadata editing?
>>
>> (And yeah, I know, mp3 == evil;
>
> Actually, it is obsolete.  Didn't the patent run out making it no longer
> evil?

Given the number of devices that support it, I'm not sure about
"obsolete". (Especially not when my only current alternative is WMA,
which I refuse to touch.)

*Did* they all run out? I thought I read something, somewhere, that
there is a string of patents, some of which were filed more recently.
Besides, the patents are only expired if they all predate (IIRC) 1991.

>> *please let me know!!* :-D, as that's more or less
>> the only reason I need mp3's.)
>>
> I use Amarok.  Will it do what you need.

Good question. So far I haven't been able to get it to actually put
anything in the colection (note: I'm using amarok2 as I have no KDE3).
It also has the annoyance of apparently not remembering how I want files
to be named :-(, so that every time I try to do 'add to collection' I
have to fiddle with the naming again. (Plus, will it rename the files on
metadata change? How would it know to do so, when it can't remember my
requested naming scheme?)

--
Matthew
"You know what Microsoft's problem really is? They've lost the ability