Detailed howto for KDE4 desktop?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 31 18:48:07 GMT 2008

On Friday 31 October 2008 15:30:21 D. R. Evans wrote:
> Salvador Alemany Garrido said the following at 10/31/2008 08:13 AM :
> > You can search here  http://userbase.kde.org/
>
> I tried that; I'm afraid that it didn't tell me anything I hadn't figured
> out :-(

Probably some of the most useful would be watching the videos mentioned on the
Glossary page, under Plasma.  It's a lot easier once you've seen it done.

> I'm trying to figure out *really* basic stuff. Some examples:
>
> 1. How do I change the colour of the panel?

Not possible, yet.

> 2. How do I move a desktop widget? (Everything I do seems to resize it;
> it's infuriatingly non-obvious how to move them.)

You know the handle that comes up when  you hover over it?  Grab hold of that
handle, without touching an icon, and just pull it around.

> 3. How do I stop desktop widgets being added under the panel?

I'm not sure what you mean by this, Doc.  Can you explain the problem a bit
more?

> (Those are just examples; there are tons more things I've tried to do and
> given up on in the past 24 hours.)

Keep asking.  I'll answer as many as I can.

> That kind of thing. It really is infuriating having to fight with the
> desktop just to get basic things right. I'm sure this stuff isn't hard; but
> it's not at all obvious.

Anne