Detailed howto for KDE4 desktop?

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Fri Oct 31 17:28:27 GMT 2008

D. R. Evans wrote:
> Salvador Alemany Garrido said the following at 10/31/2008 08:13 AM :
>
>> You can search here  http://userbase.kde.org/
>
> I tried that; I'm afraid that it didn't tell me anything I hadn't figured
> out :-(
>
> I'm trying to figure out *really* basic stuff. Some examples:
>
> 1. How do I change the colour of the panel?

You are not allowed to do that in KDE4

> 2. How do I move a desktop widget? (Everything I do seems to resize it;
> it's infuriatingly non-obvious how to move them.)

I think that that is a bug, but others might consider it a wishlist.

> 3. How do I stop desktop widgets being added under the panel?

That would be a bug.  They also get added under other widgets.

> (Those are just examples; there are tons more things I've tried to do and
> given up on in the past 24 hours.)

I agree with you.  AJS seems to have very different ideas about most
everything.  I find that many things I want to do have not been
implemented or simply don't work correctly.

> That kind of thing. It really is infuriating having to fight with the
> desktop just to get basic things right. I'm sure this stuff isn't hard; but
> it's not at all obvious.

You might be better off looking for know issues in the TechBase, or in
bug reports.

--
JRT