KDE 4.1.2.....

Frank Reifenstahl f.reifenstahl at seelig.de
Mon Oct 6 15:11:16 BST 2008

> On Monday 06 October 2008 10:23:04 I.s,baran Akçay?r wrote:
>
>> I love and enjoy using kde4 ( a normal user would not definitely )
>
>> thanks for your work btw, but i think the same about versioning, to
>
>> early to say even "it works" or "stable"
>
> Just a couple of comments about this curiously unhelpful thread -
>
> The KDE team distributed KDE 4.0 as a developer distribution. If
> packagers made the decision to include it in their distros, that has
> helped and hindered the team in equal amounts, I think.
>
> Second - the stability and state of things working does vary enormously
> according to your distro, and possibly the combination of your hardware
> and distro. I know this to be a fact, as I have two distros running KDE4
> at the moment and have had a third one not long ago. One of those is
> considerably more stable than the other two.
>
> It would be sensible, before writing this kind of criticism, to
> acknowledge that many factors, including human failure, may contribute
> to problems.

I am running KDE since its first days of availability and it helps me a
lot doing my everday work as a software developer and administrator.
Thank you a lot! But I can't help thinking that with KDE4 we witness a
change of philosophy. Up to now I was struck that the Opensource
community prefers a reserved approach regarding the announcement of
improvements. Changes to the first digit of the version number were
somehow hold sacred.

I still wonder about the stubbornness of the KDE team trying to make us
believe distributing a developer version as a dot zero is quite normal
and ok. The next thing to happen is that BMW announces a new car for the
experienced driver. A car without steering wheel and a missing wheel
front right. Your own fault if you bought one.

I hope you can see my point. Faith banks on reliability.

Kind regards
Frank