Kdesktop_lock widget positioning (KDE 3.5)

Andrew Reid reidac at bellatlantic.net
Fri Nov 28 17:55:38 GMT 2008

On Friday 28 November 2008 12:50, Kishore wrote:
> On Friday 28 Nov 2008 11:03:37 pm Andrew Reid wrote:
> >   I think that isn't general enough -- if I'm understanding this
> > "TwinView" business correctly, it's making a "virtual screen" at the
> > device level, and by the time you're up to KDE, the monitors are
> > virtualized together, and all it knows about is a single 3360 x 1050
> > screen.
>
> I don't know how X works here but what you describe means that you cannot
> different resolutions for each screen. Not good IMHO.

  You can, but it involves more TwinView tweaking than I have
done.  You set the monitor modes via pairs of (x,y) resolutions
in the "TwinView" section of xorg.conf, it's all very low-level
stuff.

  In any case, I've now filed KDE bug #176360, feel free to
add comments there as well.

> From the little that I had read about it KDE does seem to be aware that
> there are two monitors really. Does systems settings->Display indicate
> anything?

  I am not in front of the system in question at the moment, I'll try
to remember to try this and get back to you.

				-- A.
Andrew Reid / reidac at bellatlantic.net