Placing desktop/panel icons

James Kerr jim at jkerr82508.free-online.co.uk
Thu Nov 27 20:01:41 GMT 2008

> On Thursday 27 November 2008 18:31:10 James Kerr wrote:
> > > I seen a number of people advocating dragging icons onto the panel.
> > > It doesn't work on my systems.  Is it supposed to?  Or are they
> > > referring to the KDE3 methods?
> > >
> > > Since I'm talking about responses on user mailing lists, KDE 4.1.x is
> > > the likely desktop.
> > >
> > > Anne
> >
> > If you use the "Kick-off"menu and have widgets unlocked, then you
> > should be able to drag an entry from the menu to an empty spot on the
> > panel. I've done this a few times (on Mandriva 2009/KDE4).  I believe
> > that lancelot also provides some means of adding links to the panel,
> > but I've not tried that.
>
> Strange - it doesn't work here on Mandriva 2009.  The icons drag to the
> bottom of the screen then disappear behind the panel.

It seems to work if you try to drop the icon on top of an existing panel
icon (rather that in an empty spot as I wrote earlier). It seems to "force
its way" between the existing icons and you can then re-arrange them in the
usual way.

I hate all this dragging and dropping. My hands aren't steady enough any
more to do it accurately every time. :)

Jim