Duplexing prints on one side only

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 26 10:20:09 GMT 2008

On Tuesday 25 November 2008 22:04:07 g wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> >> does second side get printed on next page?
> >
> > Yes - the print job continues, but only one one side of each sheet,
> > despite the fact that every sheet is turned by the duplexer.
>
> ok. being that it is any program and printing thru cups, and 1st side
> prints, then page ejects and 2nd side prints on 1st side of next page, i
> would judge it to be cups driver is not handling correctly 2up/duplex
> printing.
>
> have a look at this page;
>
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01174360&lc=en&dlc=en&
>cc=us&product=1153754

It seems to me that there are three possible layers - cups, the kde printer
dialogue, and okular, evince or other viewer.  Since the outcome is the same
from okular and evince I think the last possibility can be ignored.

If it were cups I'd expect it to simply not recognise or manipulate the
duplexer, though of course I could be wrong.  Also, cups has managed this
printer well enough in the past - though again, versions differences have to
be considered.

That leaves for the main suspect the new printer dialogue - or, some deeper
level at which data is fed to the printer.  Either way, I'm not a happy bunny
at this moment.

Tomorrow, when I have more time, I think I'll try the HP chat line and see
whether they have any evidence one way or another.

Anne