mixing "built from SVN" and distribution binaries

Sat Nov 22 17:19:01 GMT 2008

On Friday 21 Nov 2008 10:19:24 pm Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> Kishore wrote:
> > I have trouble when logged into a kde session that is built from SVN. I
> > only build kdebase kdepim and kdevelop from SVN (along with the libs) but
> > i would like to continue to use binaries distributed by the kubuntu folks
> > (kde 4.1.3)
> >
> > When i use this mix, i have a very unstable system. kopete does not find
> > plugins etc. For this to work, on a command line i need to do:
> >
> > export KDEDIRS=/usr/bin
> > kbuildsycoca4 --noincremental
>
> Shouldn't that be KDEDIRS=/path/to/svn/kde:/usr? You forgot to put your
> SVN build in KDEDIRS,

I did try this too at first. I put both the paths in KDEDIRS and exported the
variable in the ~/.profile file. With this setting I would have plasma load up
with all applets saying something like "Unknown applet". Is there an order or
preference for the path? and do I have to put the svn path after system path?
Or are there compile to options I set for kdelibs?

> and I somehow doubt that your distro is installing
> icons in /usr/bin/share/<wherever>...

Icons are in /usr/share/icons/oxygen/... Is this non standard?
--
Cheers!
Kishore