controlling volume from command line

D. R. Evans doc.evans at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 03:35:03 GMT 2008

D. R. Evans said the following at 11/16/2008 03:53 PM :
> For years I have used the command:
>   dcop kmix Mixer0 setVolume 0 0
> to set volume to zero.
>
> How do I do this in KDE4 (specifically, Kubuntu 8.10)?

Thanks very much for the replies; I'll work on them tomorrow, but I'm sure
that some combination of the suggestions will mute everything nicely. It's
very hard to find thorough documentation for a lot of stuff, so this
reflector is a great source of suggestions.

Sound on 8.10 seems to be pretty much of a mess, and I can only hope that's
because we're in a kind of interim period where some software is using KDE3
libs and some is KDE4 based.

Wandering somewhat off topic, what I've observed since installing intrepid
(regarding sound) is:

1. amarok is very quiet compared to system notifications
2. if amarok is running, system notifications don't seem to occur
3. system notifications and other non-amarok sounds are truncated after
about a second (even if amarok isn't running)
4. kopete audio notifications don't seem to occur if amarok is running

I suspect that basically amarok just screws everything up (because it's
KDE3-based; although that doesn't explain item 3, but I haven't
investigated that very much) so I'm not too worried for now. But it sure
will be nice when amarok2 comes out (assuming that things become saner then).

  Doc

PS Actually, video is a mess too :-( I keep reading these great things
about how wonderful KDE4 will be -- and I've seen some very nifty
demonstrations -- but having experienced its current state for the first
time now that intrepid is out, I'm advising most people to stick with KDE3
at least for now. The multimedia parts of KDE4 definitely have the air of a
work in progress.