controlling volume from command line

Peter Lewis lewisp at avex.co.uk
Mon Nov 17 17:32:42 GMT 2008

On Monday 17 November 2008 00:46:39 Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Sunday 16 November 2008, D. R. Evans wrote:
> > Presumably this has changed because now dbus is used for communication
> > instead of dcop (at least, to the extent that I understand any of this,
> > that's what I understand). So I imagine that there's some sort of
> > dbus-send command that's the equivalent. But it's not obvious how to
> > discover the correct command (other than chickening out and asking here
> > :-) )
>
> The qdbus command works quite similar to the dcop tool, i.e. it always
> displays the choices of the next level of details.
>
> For example if you just execute
>
> % qdbus
>
> it will list all service quite like just dcop would have done.
>
> The names are a bit longer, i.e. the are like reverse domain names rather
> than just one worded names in DCOP.
>
> A qdbus command basically looks like this
>
> % qdbus name.of.the.program /path/of/some/object some.function.name
> parameters
>
> Cheers,
> Kevin

I have done some research with qdbus on my openSuSE 11.0 running KDE 4.1.3.
These are my "notes to self":

qdbus can be called from the command line to control the mixer:

qdbus org.kde.kmix /Mixer0 org.kde.KMix.increaseVolume Headphone:0
qdbus org.kde.kmix /Mixer0 org.kde.KMix.decreaseVolume Headphone:0

will increase and decrease the headphone volume.

qdbus org.kde.kmix /Mixer0 org.kde.KMix.increaseVolume PCM:0
qdbus org.kde.kmix /Mixer0 org.kde.KMix.decreaseVolume PCM:0

will do the same for the PCM chanel.

qdbus org.kde.kmix /Mixer0 org.kde.KMix.toggleMute Headphone:0

will toggle the headphone mute.

Amarok does not work on the dbus (yet Nov 2008) so use the amarok command
line:

amarok --play-pause
amarok --stop
amarok --next