controlling volume from command line

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Mon Nov 17 00:46:39 GMT 2008

On Sunday 16 November 2008, D. R. Evans wrote:

> Presumably this has changed because now dbus is used for communication
> instead of dcop (at least, to the extent that I understand any of this,
> that's what I understand). So I imagine that there's some sort of dbus-send
> command that's the equivalent. But it's not obvious how to discover the
> correct command (other than chickening out and asking here :-) )

The qdbus command works quite similar to the dcop tool, i.e. it always
displays the choices of the next level of details.

For example if you just execute

% qdbus

it will list all service quite like just dcop would have done.

The names are a bit longer, i.e. the are like reverse domain names rather than
just one worded names in DCOP.

A qdbus command basically looks like this

% qdbus name.of.the.program /path/of/some/object some.function.name parameters

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring