Text Effects?

Jerry Houston Jerry at effjayare.net
Sun Nov 9 15:33:44 GMT 2008

Thanks to those of you who have answered questions for me during my switch
from Thunderbird to KMail.  I'm wondering now about a feature that may be
present, but if it is, apparently I don't have it turned on.

Other email clients are able to translate the conventional *bold*,
_underscore_, and /Italic/ text modifiers into those effects in the reading
pane.

Thunderbird dos this, although not well.  (It leaves the format characters in
place, which is distracting.)  Outlook Express, with the OEQuoteFix add-on,
does this very well, applying the effect to the enclosed text and removing the
format characters.

So far, Kmail seems not to interpret these characters in any way, but it may
be because of a default setup choice.

As KMail does most things much better than Thunderbird (IMHO), I suspect
there's an option somewhere to enable these effects.  Am I right?

Thanks in advance!