How to print to pdf?

Marcelo Magno T. Sales mmtsales at gmail.com
Sat Nov 8 19:45:04 GMT 2008

Em Sáb 08 Nov 2008, John Layt escreveu:
> On Saturday 08 November 2008 10:31:56 Michael wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I use openSuSE 11.0 and KDE 4.1.3 unfortunately I have not found a
> > method to print to a pdf neither I found the option to install a
> > pdf printer. I am sure that there is such an option. I must have
> > over seen it.
> >
> > Any one who knows how to print to / as pdf ?
> >
> > Thanks a lot
> > Michael
>
> Hi,
>
> You should just be able to choose to print to PDF directly from the
> print dialog.  If you are having problems, it's probably because you
> have a buggy version of Qt installed (4.0.0 IIRC).  If you add the
> build service repository for Qt
> (http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Qt/openSUSE_11.0/)
> and upgrade to the latest version of Qt you should get the pdf
> option.
>
> Unless of course you are using Okular to try print a pdf / ps to pdf,
> in which case the option is disabled as it doesn't make sense / isn't
> supported.

It makes sense, and it is supported, but it's currently not possible due
to a bug in Qt which, IIRC, is fixed for KDE 4.2. There's a bug in
KDE's bugzilla about this.
I, for one, receive every month a password protected PDF file, which I
like to archive without the password protection. So, I used to print
the protected PDF to another PDF file. The result would be a
non-protected file.
However, currently I can get this done only by installing cups-pdf and
using it as a PDF printer.

[]'s
Marcelo