KMail accounts stored where?

Jerry Houston Jerry at effjayare.net
Sat Nov 1 22:33:38 GMT 2008

I'm a long-time Thunderbird user who's just tried KMail from KDE4 for the
first time.  I like it a lot, and it looks like I'll probably replace
Thunderbird with KMail for my Linux machines.  (I wish it was made for
Windows, so I could use it at work!)

When I set up the accounts on one machine, KMail checked the POP server and
determined that it supports APOP.  But apparently either KMail or the server
was unhappy with the arrangement.  So they've been changed to plain text, and
the mail comes through just fine.

However, every time I do a "Check Mail", I get an error message telling me
that the server didn't like APOP, and it disconnected.  Once I dismiss the
error dialog, the mail is fetched just fine.  So the login is being done.

I've double-checked that the accounts for that server are all set to plain
text logins, not APOP, so I can't imagine why KMail is trying to access them
that way.

I suspect that there's a left-over bit of configuration in a file somewhere,
but I can't find where the account configurations are stored.  Thanks in
advance for a clue to where I should look.

    Jerry in Bothell, WA