Mouse problem after updates on Debian Lenny

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Fri May 16 19:55:04 BST 2008

Problem Resolved. See below.

On Thursday 15 May 2008 18:30, Nigel Henry wrote:
> I hadn't updated my Debian Lenny install for nearly 2 months, and there
> were more than 900 updates waiting (804Mb). Post installing the updates,
> everything was working as usual. Post reboot, the mouse went a bit
> pearshaped.
>
> Now I don't know if this a KDE problem, or an X window system one, as there
> were a bunch of updates for both. I posted to the Debian User list
> yesterday, but no replies, even saying "no problems here".
>
> The problem:
> Debian by default uses one click to launch from desktop icons, but what
> happens now, is that a single click highlights the icon (much as you get on
> distros that need a double click). If I click on the icon again, 2
> instances of the app open. Likewise if I click, hold, then release the
> mouse.
>
> When clicking a button that used to bring up a drop down menu, now I just
> get a quick flash of the menu. If I click, and hold, the dropdown menu
> appears, and I can pull the mouse pointer down the menu to a specific item,
> release the mouse, and the item selected activates.
>
> I can single click on "home", or Kget on the panel, and they open on the
> desktop without problems. The volume control though when clicking on it,
> which should display the slider, just gives a quick flash of the slider.
>
> Non KDE apps, mhWaveedit, as an example, still open 2 instances of the app,
> but the buttons to control the transport still work with one click, but
> "file", and "edit", etc, which have a drop down menu, don't work as normal,
> and again I have to click, and hold, slide down the menu, and select an
> item on the menu.
>
> I created a new user, logged out, and came back into KDM. I can't access
> the menu. The button works, but here I can't get the menu at all. The
> default session is Gnome, so for the newly created user I tried the login
> button, which worked, but now I'm in Gnome, which I don't use. That said,
> single clicks with the mouse work ok in this new users Gnome session, but
> again the same problem with the drop down menus, as in KDE.
>
> A question here:
> I'm stuck with Gnome with my newly created user, and wanted to see if the
> same mouse problems existed in KDE for the new user. I havn't got Lenny
> booted up at the mo, but is there somewhere in kdmrc that I can edit, and
> can select the session I want to login to (like changing Gnome to KDE).
>
> As I say above, I don't know if this a problem caused by KDE updates, or
> those for the X window system, but any comments would be very welcome.
>
> I have had a good look in Kcontrol, but can't see any differences to
> anything to do with the mouse, as I see with Kcontrol on other distros
> running on the same machine.
>
> Many thanks for any help with this problem.
>
> Nigel.
>
> current KDE version on Debian Lenny 3.5.9-2

Someone, either from the KDE list, or the Debian-User list sent me a private
e-mail, and suggested making a change in /etc/X11/xorg.conf, and in the
section "InputDevice" for the "Generic Mouse". All I had to change was the
option line below from true to false.
Option       "SendCoreEvents"       "true"   (change true to false)

A logout, followed by a login didn't resolve the problem, but a reboot fixed
it.

Nigel.