Mouse problem after updates on Debian Lenny

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Thu May 15 17:30:00 BST 2008

I hadn't updated my Debian Lenny install for nearly 2 months, and there were
more than 900 updates waiting (804Mb). Post installing the updates,
everything was working as usual. Post reboot, the mouse went a bit
pearshaped.

Now I don't know if this a KDE problem, or an X window system one, as there
were a bunch of updates for both. I posted to the Debian User list yesterday,
but no replies, even saying "no problems here".

The problem:
Debian by default uses one click to launch from desktop icons, but what
happens now, is that a single click highlights the icon (much as you get on
distros that need a double click). If I click on the icon again, 2 instances
of the app open. Likewise if I click, hold, then release the mouse.

When clicking a button that used to bring up a drop down menu, now I just get
a quick flash of the menu. If I click, and hold, the dropdown menu appears,
and I can pull the mouse pointer down the menu to a specific item, release
the mouse, and the item selected activates.

I can single click on "home", or Kget on the panel, and they open on the
desktop without problems. The volume control though when clicking on it,
which should display the slider, just gives a quick flash of the slider.

Non KDE apps, mhWaveedit, as an example, still open 2 instances of the app,
but the buttons to control the transport still work with one click, but
"file", and "edit", etc, which have a drop down menu, don't work as normal,
and again I have to click, and hold, slide down the menu, and select an item
on the menu.

I created a new user, logged out, and came back into KDM. I can't access the
menu. The button works, but here I can't get the menu at all. The default
session is Gnome, so for the newly created user I tried the login button,
which worked, but now I'm in Gnome, which I don't use. That said, single
clicks with the mouse work ok in this new users Gnome session, but again the
same problem with the drop down menus, as in KDE.

A question here:
I'm stuck with Gnome with my newly created user, and wanted to see if the same
mouse problems existed in KDE for the new user. I havn't got Lenny booted up
at the mo, but is there somewhere in kdmrc that I can edit, and can select
the session I want to login to (like changing Gnome to KDE).

As I say above, I don't know if this a problem caused by KDE updates, or those
for the X window system, but any comments would be very welcome.

I have had a good look in Kcontrol, but can't see any differences to anything
to do with the mouse, as I see with Kcontrol on other distros running on the
same machine.

Many thanks for any help with this problem.

Nigel.

current KDE version on Debian Lenny 3.5.9-2