Kerry Beagle

David david.maillists at gmail.com
Thu May 8 22:35:34 BST 2008

Having just got my machine dual booting again my disks have been rattling
> around for hours and hours and I have to ask if Beagle's crawler ever stops
> or if it crawls for ever?????????????????????. Seem to have stopped it from
> crawling the web, me mail etc but the disk still rattles on.

Beagle is a daemon, so it never stops unless you stop it manually.

The problem is not beagle being a daemon, the problem is that it takes more
and more memory (last time for me it was taking more than 500 MB), I suppose
because of a bug.

My advice: do not use beagle until the bug is corrected. Close it, close it
also from the task bar and it should not start again, unless you have it in
~/.kde/Autostart

You have at least two more alternatives: tracker and recoll. I prefer the
latter, but I have both running.

> Out of interest it seems wubi is the only installer that can cope with xp
> not
> on disc 0.

Well, I do not like Ubuntu but here I have to tell you "please be
understanding". The natural way is to install a Linux distro inside another
partition or inside a Virtual Machine. Wubi is a good idea for Windows users
that are scared of doing something wrong when trying Linux for the first
time. Wubi is a very young project, so please be understanding and submit
the bugs you encounter. A different thing is that some bugs you encounter in
Wubi are also inside the "usual" Ubuntu, which would not be so improbable
:-D

By the way, installers can cope with XP not on disc 0. I mean all the
classical installers, the boot CDs :-)