Fighting line noise with Kmail

cr cr at orcon.net.nz
Mon Jun 30 06:39:33 BST 2008

On Monday 30 June 2008 00:10, Kevin Krammer wrote:

(snip for bandwidth)

> > Is there any way to get Kmail to delete each message off the ISP's server
> > as soon as it is downloaded?
>
> I think there is no GUI option for this, but it sounds technically
> possible, so there might be a hidden one, i.e. through editing a config
> file. However, since this would be the worst possible way performance wise,
> it might not be implemented at all.

Thanks.   I realise that with a normal line that doesn't drop, the performance
would be worse sending a 'delete' after each downloaded message; but with a
line that does drop, the behaviour I described above becomes almost unusable.

> What you could try in any case is using POP filters (Settings -> Configure
> POP filters) to defer downloading of some emails, e.g. all above a certain
> size or all not from people in your address book.

Thought of that, and I'll try to implement it (though last time I tried, for
some reason, it wouldn't work).   I'm using 1.9.5, btw.

> This is actually quite an interesting use case (only download N messages
> per patch), you should check if there is a wish item on bugs.kde.org for it
> or consider adding one.
>
> Cheers,
> Kevin

OK, I'll do that.    And thanks for the response.

Cheers

cr