(more) Dual Head in KDE4

Paul Kaplan pkaplan1 at comcast.net
Sat Jun 28 14:44:11 BST 2008

I've read that kde4.1 doesn't play well with dual head setups.

I use a Thinkpad with Intel 915 video and a Sony X95 monitor and Kubuntu
Hardy.  When running kde 3.5.9, xrandr works very well to create a virtual
desktop spanning both monitors and I can orient the two monitors any way I
want (top/bottom left/right).  (However, I did have to create a monitor
section manually rather than use the kubuntu configuration tools.)  The xorg
file works w/ either Gutsy or Hardy.

When I first tried 4.1 (beta 1, kubuntu debs) on this config I got a sort of
hybrid dualhead.  There was a single large virtual "desktop" and I could move
the mouse across both screens.  Once opened, windows could be placed anywhere
on the virtual desktop.  Plasma panels were rendered across the bottom of the
external screen, but could only be moved around the external screen.  However
the upper left 1024x768 pixels on the external monitor was the only area
where right-clicking worked and the only place where wall papers were
rendered.

When I first upgraded to beta 2 (approx 24 hours after the debs appeared in
the repo), I thought everything was solved.  I appeared to have a full
virtual desktop with rendered wall paper.  It was completely live and the
panels could be rendered on either screen on any edge.  Since, then, however,
there have been several updated kubuntu debs and a partial regression.  The
panels can still be rendered appropriately but the active area of the desktop
is again restricted to 1024x768 pixels on the external monitor only.

Has anyone else noted this?  Is it possible for someone to examine the changes
between Wednesday and Friday to see if there is a smoking gun?

Thanks,
Paul