KDE 4 review

frmrick at aapt.net.au frmrick at aapt.net.au
Mon Jun 16 05:01:40 BST 2008

Quoting ziklag <ziklag at inbox.com>:

> On Sunday 15 June 2008, Rick Miles wrote:
> > On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 09:35:45 pm ziklag wrote:
> > > "You are KDE".   If your interactions are the demonstration of this, then
> > > you have all proven my point.   Datan, Anne, etc. have proven themselves
> > > to be unable to provide assistance.  Rather they quickly condescend to
> > > name calling.   Even the Microsoft support techs don't do that.
> > > It looks like the arrogant and blind, leading the evenmore arrogant
> > > and more blind. The Linux/KDE Emperor has no clothes, but no one can
> > > see it.  Quod erat demonstratum.
> >
> > No one is KDE. And you seem to have missed a few basics on asking questions
> > on lists. and fail to understand that people on this list have a common
> > interest in KDE, not abusive behaviour.
>
> It's called Self-selection: "WE like KDE.  What? You have problems with KDE?
> Shush.  We don't talk about things like that around here.  You know, why
> don't
> go take a long hike of a short cliff."
>
> 	 And then one wonders why Linux/KDE market share isn't bigger?   Folks,
> this isn't brain-surgery; it's engineering/marketing 101.  Maybe FC9 had a
> lot
> of bugs because you chased off Alpha and Beta Testers? Maybe, just maybe,
> KDE v4 would be a killer app if the developers started to listen to ALL
> potential users instead of  just the yes-men?
>
> 	I'm very truly sorry for you if this doesn't seem logical to you all.
> Truly, I am.  Because people who miss out on logic are missing out on
> some the essentials of life (and death).
>
> 	Well, I've searched the Internet now, and I have found that there a lot of
> voices out there saying that KDE v4 is really bad.  In fact, some of them are
> using stronger language than I used (that's how I found it on google: 'KDE4
> !#$^^').    Of course, we don't see these other voices here (see above on
> self-selection.)
>

> > If you want a rock solid KDE experience than choose a distro noted for
> > placing a priority on stability, not bleeding edge. May I suggest someting
> > like Slackware? Slackware has a very helpful and courteous help list at
> > linuxquestions,org. However.folks on that list wouldn't tolerate such
> > behaviour either.
>
> My computer is an AMD-64.   I don't think that it's expecting too much to
> have support for very common CPUs (AMD-64 has been out for some time
> now.  Intel64 has been out for some time too.)  As far as I can tell, only
> Fedora supports 64 bit operation on the AMD CPUs.   Again, what's it going
> to be: "Linux rocks Microsoft" or "Err, well, Linux just can't do that yet."?
>
> I know, you think that I'm talking about non-KDE issues, right?  But UI
> is an integral component.   It's called curb appeal; you put fresh paint
> on a house that you want to sell.   Selling people a "money pit" doesn't
> go over well.
>

> > If your just after eye candy and paid support techs who get paid to take
> > abuse from folks like you, go install Vista.

> [...]
<snip>
We have 4 boxes in this house one of which is a server so no gui required. For
the workstations, they have a GNU/Linux operating system, and Xorg windowing
system and KDE-3.5.9 desktops. I use the distro I use because of the way the
whole thing is put together and because it is never released with software that
is not working correctly as the upstream developers intend it to work,. The
latest release was the first week of May and users were told that KDE-4 would
not be packaged as part of any release until it was stable enough for
mainstream use. That's why I use this distro, it don't release stuff that don't
work 100%

If you want to use a distribution that packages the latest and greatest before
it is ready to be used without allot trouble than expect to have problems.

If not there are allot of distros out there that can give you a decent stable
KDE desktop, just not a 4.something desktop. If you don't like KDE there are
alternatives.

AFAIC, KDE-4 is not ready for mainstream yet. Maybe in another 6 months maybe
not. Its the nature of this type of development and not the fault of KDE
developers.