KDE 4 review

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sun Jun 15 13:21:07 BST 2008

On Sunday 15 June 2008, ziklag wrote:
> On Saturday 14 June 2008, Kevin Krammer wrote:

> > I don't think this would make any difference. Fedora is targeted at a
> > user group who prefer to trade probability of initial problems with
> > subsequent fixes over initial perfection with subsequent security only
> > maintenance. For example they even ship unreleased versions of software
> > if the actual release is likely to happen within their version's update
> > cycle (e.g. NetworkManager, Xorg)
>
> I read the release notes.  Where did they say: "This is bleeding edge
> software.  We skipped alpha and beta testing.   Sorry, if you've got
> problems because you're our guinea pig." ?

Well, I am not a Fedora user, but I guess delivering the most modern software
stack is kind of the Fedora mission statement. If they do not mention in in
their release notes, it is probably somewhere on their website.

> What I did read was that they had problems with nvidia, but it was
> supposedly fixed.   I read that KDE4 was a little rough around the
> edges, but was supposed to be usable.    I guess non of the alpha
> or beta testers actually upgraded fc8-->fc9 or tried to use the
> kicker replacement nor the taskbar  no kmail.   My mistake.

It is quite likely that the majority of Fedora users just wait for the release
and upgrade then, like you did, and do not participate in testing upgrade
paths before that.
But this is getting very offtopic here, you should discuss this on a Fedora
list.

> I guess that it is time to switch OSes if Redhat is going to be
> misleading and preset an OS release notes which seem to imply
> that all's well.

Not sure what Red Hat has to do with all this, their releases and upgrade
paths are always thoroughly tested.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring