KDE 4 review

ziklag ziklag at inbox.com
Sat Jun 14 23:22:07 BST 2008

On Saturday 14 June 2008, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> 2008/6/14 ziklag <ziklag at inbox.com>:
> > I wrote a long nasty letter about how bad KDE4 was, but then it got back
> > at me by deleting my letter.   What was that?  Yet ANOTHER KDE bug?
>
> What did you do just before you noticed that the letter was deleted?
> In what program did you write the letter? Kmail?

I used 'gvim' as my editor.   I did: <ESC>:wq.    And nothing showed up
in my window.   I tried editing again, and got a new temp file.   I disabled
gvim composer.  Then I found where the temp files are kept and cut-and-pasted
my original letter in.

> > How could that be?   KDE4 is ALPHA quality at best.   FC9?  Who's running
> > the insane asylum?   So many bugs, so few excuses....
>
> KDE 4.0 is not feature complete, and was never intended to be. KDE has
> no influence over the Fedora team, and they can choose to use whatever
> software they please. I suggest that you write to the Fedora mailing
> list concerning your feelings regarding their decision. Note that
> Fedora is a bleeding edge distro, so their choice of KDE 4 over 3 is
> logical. You may prefer a less bleeding edge distro such as Ubuntu or
> Debian.

Perhaps you KDE folks should have a word or two with the Fedora dudes
about putting out releases with your ALPHA software making KDE look
bad?    But, also, seriously, if this is what I can expect in KDE 6 or
whatever you call it when it's not alpha anymore, then I'm not impressed.
I liked how it used to look.  It was clean and simple.   I seriously don't
understand the desire for dancing windows instead of a clean presentation.
I liked KDE3 save for some bugs.  And I like BeOS/Tracker a LOT.  But,
this seems like a step in the wrong direction.

I write elsewhere that perhaps I'll give ubuntu a try.   They're  the
new kids on the block.  I didn't trust them.  I've been using RH/FC
since circa 1995.   I wanted to stick with the old "friend", but alas
Redhat doesn't seem to care about normal desktop users anymore.
As for debian, I've never been a fan; they are GPL zealots.