Is KDE4 hotter-running than KDE3?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 8 12:19:12 BST 2008

On Tuesday 08 July 2008 11:52:06 Kishore wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 Jul 2008 4:10:47 pm Anne Wilson wrote:
> > My laptop is working much harder under KDE4, with the fan coming on
> > extremely regularly.  Is this to be expected?
>
> Yes. Im not sure why but this used to be the case when i was using 4.0. I
> think it was the desktop effects being enabled.

I don't have any desktop effects enabled - that was the cause of some problem
I had earlier.

> Again, as what seems to be the case with many a problem, this does not
> happen in 4.1.

OK, I can wait that long, thanks.

> However, there is still one problem i continue to face with
> kwin consuming too much processor. To solve this, i have to go to Advanced
> section of the desktop effects configuration and disable direct rendering.

There does seem to be a runaway effect sometimes.  I've seen pulseaudio and
plasma each using 45%+ of cpu time, sometimes.  Killing pulseaudio and artsd
seemed to cure it, but of course that may be coincidence, and since the Intel
sound doesn't work, I'm now silent :-)

Under kde3 I used to set aRts to release audio after 1 second.  Can this be
done under kde4?  I thought aRts was to disappear for kde4?  Is this a
compatibility layer thing?

Anne