Restoring functionality to KDE4

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 3 12:06:18 BST 2008

On Thursday 03 July 2008 11:48:03 Kishore wrote:
> On Thursday 03 Jul 2008 4:05:17 pm Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Thursday 03 July 2008 11:00:40 Kishore wrote:
> >
> > Following
> >
> > > http://software-libre.rudd-o.com/KDE_4.0.0_emergency_FAQ.
> >
> > may have provided a clue.
> >
> > [root at anne-wireless ~]# qdbus org.kde.kded
> >
> > brings
> >
> >         -bash: qdbus: command not found
> >
> > on the faulty one, and
>
> qdbus is a helper application and may not be installed by default, so this
> is OK but...
>
> >         Service 'org.kde.kded' does not exist
> >
> > on the good one.
>
> ... this is not quite OK i think! Over here i get:
>
> kishore at Lucifer:~$ qdbus org.kde.kded
> /
> /KDebug
> /KHotKeys
> /KIO
> /KIO/Scheduler
> /KdedGlobalAccel
> /MainApplication
> /kbuildsycoca
> /kded
> /modules
> /modules/desktopnotifier
> /modules/favicons
> /modules/kcookiejar
> /modules/kdedglobalaccel
> /modules/khotkeys
> /modules/konqy_preloader
> /modules/kpasswdserver
> /modules/ktimezoned
> /modules/kwrited
> /modules/networkstatus
> /modules/remotedirnotify

I followed through with the commands from the Emergency FAQ, and while I don't
have the long list that you have, I do have

/
/KDebug
/KdedGlobalAccel
/MainApplication
/kbuildsyscoca
/kded
/modules
/modules/kdedglobalaccel

That's probably as much as I could expect on that laptop.  It's 6 years
old :-) so I don't ask it to do much.  It was used as a first test for the
Mandriva Spring KDE4, and is still being used as a reference.  I read mail on
it when I need to, but don't do much else.

Anne