KDE3 KDE4 mix

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Jan 31 16:47:08 GMT 2008

Bob Stia wrote:
> On Wednesday 30 January 2008 09:43:34 pm Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> Bob Stia wrote:
>>> I did that earlier this evening and what to my surprise is that I got a
>>> KDE4 Konqueror.    ?????  Strange !!  To satisfy my curiousity I fired up
>>> several other apps using kdesu - kwite, gwenview, etc.  They ALL started
>>> as KDE4 apps. So then I logged out of my user session logged on as root
>>> and checked the apps inside the root session. They all showed up as
>>> KDE3.5.7 Logged off as root, logged back in my user session and retried
>>> my kdesu commands again. All KDE4 apps !!! They all worked OK except with
>>> the limitations of the KDE4 desktop Hope that's not going to be a problem
>>> down the road.
>>>
>>> Looks like a strange bug to me.
>> Um... check what your $PATH is? It sounds like PATH is pointing to KDE4
>> for your normal user, and KDE3 when you log in as root.
>
> Thanks for replying. Hadn't thought of that. You mean the other way around,
> don't you?  No, seems that both the user and root point to /opt/kde3. kde4 is
> in /usr/share You mean the kdesu path? Is that different maybe?

PATH for kdesu might not be the same as when you inspect it in e.g.
Konsole, if that's what you mean. If you're on linux, you might try
poking around in /proc (most reliable, but not easy - in fact, I'm not
sure what process you would look for), otherwise using kdesu to run
/bin/env in a terminal window might do it (not sure about that,
though... OTOH 'xterm', with no args, might work).

Anyone know how to get the environment of the KDE session? :-)

> I was hoping that somebody else was seeing what I was seeing.

Well, I'm not running a full KDE4 environment yet, so... :-) It
definitely sounds like PATH for kdesu is such that it's finding kde4
first when you don't want it to. Anyway, I would guess the fix is
fiddling with something in either .bashrc, .bash_profile, or one of the
GUI startup scripts (forget exactly what those are, sorry... I want to
say $KDEHOME/env but I'm not sure). And then there's the script the
login manager runs, which I can't find either :-(.

--
Matthew
Excessive obscurity: -5