KDE3 KDE4 mix

Bob Stia rnr at sanctum.com
Thu Jan 31 05:20:37 GMT 2008

On Wednesday 30 January 2008 09:43:34 pm Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> Bob Stia wrote:
> > I did that earlier this evening and what to my surprise is that I got a
> > KDE4 Konqueror.    ?????  Strange !!  To satisfy my curiousity I fired up
> > several other apps using kdesu - kwite, gwenview, etc.  They ALL started
> > as KDE4 apps. So then I logged out of my user session logged on as root
> > and checked the apps inside the root session. They all showed up as
> > KDE3.5.7 Logged off as root, logged back in my user session and retried
> > my kdesu commands again. All KDE4 apps !!! They all worked OK except with
> > the limitations of the KDE4 desktop Hope that's not going to be a problem
> > down the road.
> >
> > Looks like a strange bug to me.
>
> Um... check what your $PATH is? It sounds like PATH is pointing to KDE4
> for your normal user, and KDE3 when you log in as root.

Thanks for replying. Hadn't thought of that. You mean the other way around,
don't you?  No, seems that both the user and root point to /opt/kde3. kde4 is
in /usr/share You mean the kdesu path? Is that different maybe?

Guess I will have to go login as regular root and then to kde4 as a user and
su root and check the PATH there.. Thanks for pointing me in a direction
though and any other hints/suggesions would be welcome. The alt+F2 command
line thing is really funky in kde4. It comes up with a menu kind of thing so
that you can choose kde3 apps. Maybe that is screwing up it's operation in
kde3

I was hoping that somebody else was seeing what I was seeing.

Bob S