Cannot add Brother printer

John john_82 at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Jan 29 16:37:55 GMT 2008

On Tuesday 29 January 2008 02:15, Jonathan Doe wrote:
> On Monday 28 January 2008 11:23:47 am Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > On Debian etch, I downloaded the drivers for Brother dcp7010 from the
> > Brother website, but I cannot add the printer in Kcontrol ->
> > Peripherals -> Printers -> Add. THe text "Add printer/class" is grey.
> > This is the site from where I downloaded the drivers:
> > http://solutions.brother.com/linux/sol/printer/linux/cups_drivers.html#de
> >
> > What must I do to enable the addition of the printer? Thanks in advance.
>
> I have had the experience where sometimes adding a printer via kde is easy,
> and sometimes it is impossible. I would reccommend adding the printer via
> the cups web interface, the kde print configuration should pick up on this
> and Just Work.
>
> FYI running kde as root in order to add a printer is generally not
> considered safe. Try the cups webinterface:
On suse it is impossible to install some printers any other way than via a
graphic interface. . Samsung provide a self installing closed source driver
with a graphic installation interface. The install can be run as an ordinary
user with out any problem but the final printer enable part has exactly the
problem mentioned. Will cups accept a driver supplied like that - no. Suse
won't either because of a list of "acceptable" printers it maintains many of
which are probably obsolete. Trying to force it into the list doesn't work
either.

If the driver installation manages to get the right things in the right places
you may find that you can do the final enabling part via the cups web
interface. You may also find that the cups password isn't the same as root.

On safety I personally will run any none web accessing program as root but I
would also point out that many disto's have the ability  to run "file
manager" as su. A very useful facility for those that mostly stop away from
the shell. I use it a lot. Type a web address and it will still go where
ever. Despite this fact suse for one clobbered the facility installed onto
roots desktop for what basically seem to be nonsensical reasons. Also eg why
edit system files in the shell when it's much easier to edit in a desktop
editor. KDE also provides a user the opportunity to run any program as root.
It just needs a little bit of thought as to what one does do when logged in
as root.

--
Regards
John