Changing encoding in Dolphin

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 08:39:42 GMT 2008

On 26/01/2008, Michael Mauch <michael.mauch at gmx.de> wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>
> > Thanks, Michael. 862 is, if I'm not mistaken, the old IBM encoding. A
> > more common encoding today is cp1255 or 1255, which it turns out is a
> > superset of iso8859-8 and that's why Linux does not need iso8859-8.
> > Codepage cp1255 and 1255 did not help me read the card, though
> > (Non-ascii characters in filenames remained as question marks). Any
> > other ideas? Thanks.
>
> Yes, 1255 seems to be a superset of ISO-8859-8, and 862 is old. But
> there have to be some other Linux users in Israel, and surely they
> wanted to read their FAT drives, too - every electric toothbrush has a
> FAT filesystem nowadays ;-), it's not some exotic thing which is used by
> nobody. Dual booting Windows and Linux also has not been invented just
> yesterday. So there are surely a lot of other users in Israel who
> already can read FAT drives without guessing question marks.
>
> Can you read other FAT drives, like "normal" USB sticks or USB disk
> drives with Hebrew characters? Can you read your SD card in Windows?
> Maybe the phone manufacturer has some not-so-usual ideas about how to
> save filenames on the card?

Yes, I can read my Sandisk Cruzer 2GB stick (U3 removed) just fine,
including Hebrew filenames that were created on a windows machine. And
the Nokia SD card can be read, including Hebrew file names, on a
windows machine.

> Probably you already saw
> <http://www.ilan.eu.org/content/view/44/28/lang,he/> and
> <http://penguin.org.il/%D7%9E%D7%93%D7%A8%D7%99%D7%9B%D7%99%D7%9D/%D7%94%D7%92%D7%93%D7%A8%D7%AA_%D7%AA%D7%9E%D7%99%D7%9B%D7%94_%D7%91%D7%A2%D7%91%D7%A8%D7%99%D7%AA>
> and a hundred other similar sites.

I am familiar with the penguin.org.il site, but not with ilan.eu.org.
I see where ilan mentions 862. I will try that later today, I got
caught up (still am) in real life and I'll be free a bit later.

> Could it be that we're all barking up the wrong tree? Did you check that
> you were putting the options in the right place, e.g. after you mounted
> the drive (or after it ws auto-mounted), did you check with "mount" that
> you did indeed hit the right partition with your options?

Actually, I'm not sure how to check that the drive was in fact mounted
with the correct options. How to check?

Thanks. I very much appreciate the assistance.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.