Changing encoding in Dolphin

Michael Mauch michael.mauch at gmx.de
Fri Jan 25 17:43:45 GMT 2008

Dotan Cohen wrote:

> Thanks. After some time googling, I suspect that I need to add the
> iso-8859-8 codepage to the fstab entry. However, I don't seem to have
> it:

> Anybody know how to install nls_iso8859-8.ko on Ubuntu? I'll ask on
> the Ubuntu list, but someone here may know as well. Thanks.

There is no nls_iso8859-8.ko in current Linux kernels. These are the
available choices in the kernel "make menuconfig":

   <M>   NLS ISO 8859-1  (Latin 1; Western European Languages)
   < >   NLS ISO 8859-2  (Latin 2; Slavic/Central European Languages)
   < >   NLS ISO 8859-3  (Latin 3; Esperanto, Galician, Maltese, Turkish)
   < >   NLS ISO 8859-4  (Latin 4; old Baltic charset)
   < >   NLS ISO 8859-5  (Cyrillic)
   < >   NLS ISO 8859-6  (Arabic)
   < >   NLS ISO 8859-7  (Modern Greek)
   < >   NLS ISO 8859-9  (Latin 5; Turkish)
   < >   NLS ISO 8859-13 (Latin 7; Baltic)
   < >   NLS ISO 8859-14 (Latin 8; Celtic)
   <M>   NLS ISO 8859-15 (Latin 9; Western European Languages with Euro)

But probably you don't need that module.

These iocharset mount options (e.g. iocharset=iso8859-7) are used to set
the character set that is used on the Linux side. Ubuntu uses UTF-8,
which can display all characters, not just 256 characters like the old
ISO 8859 character sets. You could try iocharset=utf8 (though I hope
that would be the default on Ubuntu).

But there is another option, named "codepage", to tell in which
character set the filenames on your FAT filesystem are. For Hebrew
filenames that could be cp862. So try with
"codepage=cp862,iocharset=utf8".

Regards...
                Michael