Help: compiz-fusion and kpager

Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper vr at movingparts.net
Fri Jan 11 15:05:32 GMT 2008

On 1/8/08, David <david.maillists at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> When I launched compiz-fusion in KDE 3.5.8, I saw that the number of
> desktops was increased to 16. Then, I went to the KDE Control Centre and
> lowered the virtual desktops to 1, then I had the compiz cube with 4
> desktops.
>
> * Is it what I have to do, or am I missing the correct solution?
>
> This solution is OK, except that now, the taskbar shows the windows of allworkspaces, and I do not like it at all because tabs start grouping.
>
> * Is there any solution to that?

FWIW, I am using compiz with KDE 3.5.8 right now and despite the eye candy
and neat features, I still haven't figured out how to fix these things
you're talking about (yep, I see them too). Compiz was designed in a GNOME
environment and it sure doesn't seem to play nicely with KDE, sorry to say.
Another severe annoyance is that with kwin, kicker orders taskbar entries by
workspace, whereas with compiz, it's all thrown in there together. Ick! And
even though I have compiz doing 8-sided polygon viewport, kicker only shows
that I have 4 desktops. Annoying! =:(

Finally, a question for discussion: does KDE 4 "replace" compiz-fusion? On
> the one hand, kwin integrates better with KDE than compiz :-) But, on the
> other hand, it has fewer plugins (AFAIK, with KDE 4 it is not possible to
> make windows' borders distort when you move the window). What do you think?
> (Please, before answering this, please reply to the first two questions in
> case you know the answers; if you do not know the answers to the first two
> questions, you can reply to this last question :-D  ).
>
> Thank you very much.

Heh. Yep, I totally agree with you. Kwin4 doesn't have all of the plugins
that compiz has. Which is why, after trying kwin4 a few weeks ago, I went
back to compiz and KDE 3.5.8. But yes, to answer your question... Kwin4 now
does the compositing features that compiz provides, I believe. So it should
be completely possible to provide all of the functionality that compiz's
plugins serve with Kwin4, but my guess is that there are just not enough
developers to go around right now. I am sure that if you are willing and
able, the Kwin4 developers would _love_ your help! =:)

HTH!!

--
-[ Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper    //  http://movingparts.net ]-
-[ KDE PIM Developer         //  http://www.kde.org  ]-