Vim bindings in Kdevelop

Thu Feb 7 16:23:40 GMT 2008

On Feb 7, 2008 12:52 PM, Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at> wrote:

> You will probably need an editor package which implements the KDE editor
> component interface. Not sure if there is one with VIM bindings, I think KVIM
> got abandoned and I don't know about the state of the KDE3 version of Yzis
> (its homepage www.yzis.org only talks about the KDE4 one)

Afaik, Yzis is dead[1], which is a pity. At least a few of the people
who used to
do KVIM are/were involved with Yzis. IIRC, they got fed up with trying to keep
up with VIM changes and making KVIM work.

VIM has a server mode which the Eclipse plugin and, I think, GVIM use. This
means that a KPart client to the VIM server could do what OP wants. This is
one of the things I would be willing to shell out (not too much, I _am_ a
student), hand out couch rights or do other favours for. Being able to, once
again, use VIM to write emails from within KMail.. Pure bliss :)

A quick look around did not show me a way to contact the Yzis people, but
if someone knows any of them, perhaps try to hook them on the VIM server
idea. As that API would presumably be stable, it should be a _lot_ less work
than Yzis.

Richard

[1] http://www.yzis.org/wiki/index.php?title=Special:Recentchanges&days=30