Fwd: Re: Kuickshow in KDE 4?

Alejandro Exojo suy at kurly.org
Sun Dec 21 18:14:51 GMT 2008

El Sábado, 20 de Diciembre de 2008, Richard Hartmann escribió:
> my posting to the kde-mailinglist never came through (probably stuck in the
> moderation queue), and Alejandro apparently didn't get it either (or maybe
> he's away from the net), so I'm forwarding the mail to you. Could you
> please forward it to the list, perhaps?

My fault, sorry for the delay. I'm still busy this days, but I will have more
time after 26th of December.

> Am Samstag, 13. Dezember 2008 schrieben Sie:

(...)
> An "Open with" entry in the context menu would make sense, though. Is that
> still lin libkonq? (rusty memory...)

No idea. There have been some changes since the addition of dolphin in this
area, so I don't know.

> I'd be very happy to get a release for KDE4 out of the door. I tried to do
> that a while ago, but there are still a few problems (as you probably
> noticed), so I didn't want to release that.

Understood, but for basic use (without the file browser), I found it OK. I
only noticed some toolbar weirdness.

> > There are other minor things that can be changed, and that I can fix
> > myself (or other person with little KDE knowledge) if Carsten allows us
> > to do so. For example, the toolbar is completely full due to the change
> > in trunk that makes "text alongside icons" the default. Some actions
> > should be removed because don't belong to a toolbar, like "About" or
> > "Setup".
>
> Please, go ahead with such changes. The toolbar looks really messy right
> now. You can also mail me in case you're unsure about some changes, I'll
> gladly assist you.

OK. I will do this.

> All of the above :-) I'm happy about your offers! Regarding the website
> (now that I look at it it's hardly more than a single .html page), I guess
> it's sufficient to add you to the Sourceforge project. Just tell me your
> username. Otherwise you can mail me an updated website and I'll upload it
> for you.

Well, then, to summarize:

* Regarding the website: I think the optimal solution is creating a page on
UserBase.kde.org, and make other sites a plain HTML that redirects there.
Many KDE websites are not up to date, because developers rely on other
contributors to maintain them, and usually they do it very well, but only
initially. Once they have no time or interest (and this always happens), the
story repeats: somebody complains about the state of the website when it's
already some weeks/months outdated, somebody volunteers to update it, and
write permissions to the place are added on one person.

With the main website on UserBase, there will always be a group of people who
can be at hand to maintain it, without the hassle of adding permissions on
sourceforge, or the corresponding SVN directory.

* Regarding the source: I will start looking at the toolbars, since is the
easiest thing to look at, and also will be the excuse to have an overview of
the source. It's been a looooong time since I did some KDE coding, so let's
see if will be able to do it.

* And regarding the packaging: I will try to do this in parallel, and put
packages on my website so whoever is interested can decide if they want to
test KuickShow in its state or not.

> Regarding things that need to be done:
(...)
> There's probably lots more, but that's a beginning. I can give some more
> details on request.

OK.

> Note that KuickShow started as one of my first programs
> at all (and for KDE 1.x), so the code is probably not exactly a good
> example for KDE4 programming :-} Some parts scream for a refactoring.

Luckily the source (or at least the number of files) is not very large, so I
think is a good starting point.

Anyway, what is just awesome, is that you kept the application alive during
such a long period of time. As I said, I use it quite often, and I find it a
really lovely piece of work. :)

Greetings.

--
Alex (a.k.a. suy) | GPG ID 0x0B8B0BC2