How do I activate compiz on kde with F10?

Sascha Peilicke sasch.pe at gmx.de
Sun Dec 21 11:42:23 GMT 2008

On Saturday 20 December 2008 20:14:35 Steven W. Orr wrote:
> On Saturday 20 December 2008 18:28:25 Steven W. Orr wrote:
> > I'm interested in trying it but I have no idea how to activate it. It
>
> looks cool. Where do I start?
>

> The answer is simple, you just don't want compiz, you want something
> nicer. Have a look at " System Settings -> Desktop -> Desktop Effects " or
> to be lazy, press <Alt>+<F2> and enter "effects", click on the desktop
> effects icon.
>
> There's a nice little checkbox "Enable desktop effects" and a lot of
> options
> too :-)
> --
> Sascha Peilicke
> http://saschpe.wordpress.com
>
> Thanks Sasha. I know about that already. But *why* do I not want it? I
> assume that if someone knows how to activate compiz, I can still give it a
> try?
Ok sorry, the question is why should you want to use Compiz instead of a
perfectly integrated solution (KWin)? Does Compiz has some effects not yet
shipped with KWin? KWin's advantage is that is stable, a word that never came
into my mind back in those days I used Compiz. All your keybindings and
general window manager behavior stays the same (Compiz has to emulate your WM,
and it does a real bad job at this). Or the handy shortcut <Alt>+<Meta>+<F12>
which lets you toggle compositing (saves the days when you want some OpenGL
games). Both help scratching the same itch but one of them is legacy :-)
--
Sascha Peilicke
http://saschpe.wordpress.com