Need help with KDE4 on SuSE 11.1

Jerry Houston jerry at effjayare.net
Sat Dec 20 16:30:36 GMT 2008

On Saturday 20 December 2008 06:05:17 Peter Lewis wrote:

> For a start you might try logging on in a bash session (no KDE) and
> renaming the ~.kde4 folder in your home directory.
>
> You would then loose all your previous settings from KDE4 but you could
> reset all of that.

If I'd seen your message first, it would have saved me some trouble, but in
the end, all came out well.  I simply deleted that folder, and everything
returned to normal.

When I did that, I thought I'd be getting rid of configuration data, not mail,
my address book, etc.  I used KMail in KDE3 sessions as well, so it didn't
occur to me that it would all be stored in ~.kde4.

However, on this machine that's not a problem.  I just use it to read mail,
not store it.  I can replace the address book from another machine, and the
received messages are stored elsewhere as well.  I just needed to recreate
filter definitions and reapply some folder properties.

So deleting that folder was a fairly good solution - in MY case.  Others would
do well to take a more cautious approach, such as you recommended.